Tuesday 29 May 2018


DOCTOR’S ORDERS 1950s

Mass incolulations.

Although we were intermittently lined up in infant and junior schools to be punctured - inoculated they said back then - by a series of shared needles, we mostly seem to have ‘caught’ everything going - measles, German measles, whooping cough, mumps, chicken pox, laryngitis, bronchitis, colds, influenza, earache, sties, constipation, diarrhoea, food poisoning, conjunctivitis, athlete’s foot and even, in my case, shingles.

The last was the worst; big blisters in a line from the chest to the back. The story goes that, if they meet you’re done for. Mine didn’t meet, for which I’m grateful. Whether or not it is the reason I am still extant, it did at least leave me one side to lie on.

The quack usually came out to you in those days, even for the things everyone got, and left the distraught parent with a free prescription for some kind of concoction. Cherry linctus was the best. I can taste it now. That much sugar was never going to convert to alcohol, but more than enough did to give us a serious taste for it.

When you got really pissed off with doing stuff - especially school stuff - if you were lucky, the doc would declare you anaemic and prescribe something that tasted like essence of iron bar; like the smell on your hands after going on the climbing frame, only bottled.

Probably something to do with going from a fat baby to a beanpole in what seemed like minutes, I had a weakness in my knees, so was taken to the surgery to find gentle old Tommy Sutton Coulson had gone off on holiday leaving some latter day Boadicea in charge. She laid me on the couch and mangled my legs in all directions before declaring in foghorn tones that there was ‘nothing wrong with them that a good game of rugby wouldn’t cure’.


I had two spells in hospital, both in Newton Abbot. One was for a hernia operation, the other to do something to resolve the ‘lazy eye’.

Children's ward.


The children’s ward was a twenty-four hour a day nightmare in the fifties. Visiting hours were strictly adhered to and, to a child, the wait from afternoon to afternoon was interminable. The nurses were pleasant enough, but also strictly business, especially when the fearsomely starched matron was about.

Night times were full of piteous screams, of pain and fear, nightmares and serious injury. We tried to cover our ears and eyes to shut it out and get some sleep. It seemed that nurses only visited at intervals, even though a child had been rushed in by ambulance men and wailed inconsolably for hours. I never saw their parents brought to them or allowed to stay in the hallowed chambers of misery and horror. I think we all knew what the ensuing silence and the rolled up mattress betokened.

The ward must have been single sex because the only friend I made was a poorly looking red haired girl in a faded red dressing gown. Apart from visits and telling the nurses I didn’t want a bath, she was the only person I can recall talking to. She was pleased for me when my parents sprung me, but terribly sad with it. I felt awful about leaving her in that place.

I was a great fan of Russ Conway, whom I would miss playing at the Pavilion. My parents even tried to get him to visit the ward, but it wasn’t possible. He did send me a get well message though. I can still play Sidesaddle and Roulette as badly as I did then; more Eric Morecambe than Mr Conway.

Russ Conway.
I came out of the hernia op with a great gash across my abdomen held together with industrial stitches and a long thin regular Elastoplast. The holes from the stitches never completely healed up. Luckily they are mostly covered by the undergrowth.

My treat for surviving the eye operation was to be collected in Syd Wilkes’s proper American pre-war Chrysler with its cool whitewall tyres and V8 engine. They left the stitches in that time. It was difficult for anyone to judge the success of the operation because my right eye had a big pad over it and I was constantly aware of whatever they’d left in it, which felt like a telegraph pole.

The stitches were removed some time later.

I was never told the prognosis for the operation. It had cured a droopy eyelid, but seemed a bit over the top for that purpose. I was accordingly horrible to my mother for putting me through it, but I daresay it was worth it.

V8 Chrysler.

I’d made something of a habit of falling on my head as a child, but I think medical intervention was minimal compared to the seriousness with which such things are treated today. Luckily I only went a bit weird as a result.

With time, my knees even got better.

My dad never had too much time for doctors and brought me up in that part of his image. Tommy Sutton Coulson had told him aeons ago that he had a thyroid condition and treated him accordingly. Half a lifetime later when Dad was in the convalescent hospital in Kings Ash, recovering from bronchial pneumonia, the doc took him aside and said, ‘You know, Ron, I don’t think you ever had a thyroid condition.’

‘Bloody idiot,’ came the reply.

From the time Dad took over the catering at Hoyles Road, we went on to a kind of set menu. The chicken that was roasted for Sunday would provide the makings of an omelette on Monday. Macaroni cheese followed on Tuesday and so on round to Saturday when we would all return from lunchtime in the Vic with boil-in-the-bag Bird’s Eye cod.

On Monday nights, there was still enough meat on the chicken carcass for me to pick while sitting through Come Dancing with Peter West. Not a celebrity spectacle in those days, but a competition between ballroom dance groups, such as Midland Counties (South). The ritual of the chicken picking was gradually accompanied by a ritual toothache. It only happened at that time on a Monday night, and a single Anadin tablet from the family pharmacy was sufficient to allay it.

Cricket commentator and Come Dancing presenter, Peter West.


One Monday, the cupboard was bare. Somebody had swallowed the last pill. Almost without thought, I filled a glass of water from the tap and pretended to take an Anadin. The relief was identical. I had experienced the placebo effect at first hand.




No comments:

Post a Comment

ECONOMICAL WITH THE TRUTH   Dave Randle The first time I heard the weasel term ‘economic migrant’ it was being used by Charlie...