Monday 30 April 2018


A CLASS APART




By the time I was twelve, I was already an ardent ‘believer’ in science. On being shown it one day, my neighbour turned up her nose and declared that my pet Lizard wasn’t an animal.

‘What is it then?’ I asked her, ‘A plant?’

She went on to explain that animals are cuddly things and a lizard is a creepy-crawly, so is classified with other creepy-crawlies, such as spiders and beetles.

Affronted by her ignorance, I reeled off a catalogue of stuff about orders, phyla, species, the family lacertidae and other kinds of learnèd hogwash.

All these years on, I see how ignorant I was to believe these officially constructed classifications had any more truth in them than hers.

The lizard was the most ignorant of all, being party to neither system of taxonomy, but it alone was possessed of full understanding of its role and duties, not as a representative of other ‘lacertidae’, but specifically as itself.

Its successors continue with identical expertise, regardless of classification and consensus science, and all unwitting of the changes in their motives, place in the scheme of things, history and the evolutionary back-stories spun about them to suit the notions and fashions of humanoid myth.

Good or bad, right or wrong, ‘science’ has not touched them.

From BLINDED WITH SCIENCE available from The Book Depository


No comments:

Post a Comment

ECONOMICAL WITH THE TRUTH   Dave Randle The first time I heard the weasel term ‘economic migrant’ it was being used by Charlie...